News from North Carolina

News from North Carolina

Monday, July 7, 2014

"The scriptures are doors with immense truths behind them, divine insights of major proportions; there is an eternal curriculum--things God would have all men and women upon the face of the earth learn for their happiness." Neil A. Maxwell

So this week, we (all the missionaries in our stake) decided that for the Fourth of July, we would go to downtown Greensborro and set up tables.  So we made cardboard flags and signs that said "what do you stand for?"   You and Stand had red glitter on them, and I was helping with those signs...And i really have no idea how i got soo much glitter everywhere!  It was all over my legs and on my face and arms and in my hair....yep.  i am just talented like that.   Sister Perea and I also made a poster with the Book of Mormon on one side and a Mormon.org card on the other side.  It was really fun!  For the faces, we cut up some old Ensigns we had laying around our appartment. I, however, did not cut one of them up (October 2011) because it was a special issue on the Book of Mormon.  I have loved reading it and it has really powerful articles in there.  But one thing I have noticed is how often it talks about reading the Book of Mormon.  I have noticed as well that those who are less-active don't read the scriptures!  They don't have the power that the Book of Mormon could give them!  For example, a less-active just moved in with one of our members and she has never read the Book of Mormon even though she has been a member all her life!  So with Elder Bednar, President Monson, President Hinckley, President Woodruff, and all the others in here, I encourage anyone who has not read the Book of Mormon to read it!  It will change your life! Anyway, we talked to tons of people about the Book of Mormon!  Because they would write what they stand for and we would be like, "well, we stand for Jesus Christ.  And this book will help you______ (learn more about Him, come closer to your family, etc).  Most were really nice, but we definitely got some unusual people... Like a Muslim guy came up and talked to the elders, and when he was done, his parents were chewing him out for forever for talking with us!  And they knew a lot of bad words...It was really awkward and a lot of people didn't want to stop because they were screaming pretty near us... And another guy was convinced Satan was near... Oh well, our mission found lots of new investigators!
And the weather was really nice because we got a cold front from the hurricane.  That was really good because the other missionaries were not prepared.  No one but me wore sunblock (they all got sunburned) and no one brought water, but me (so they all drank mine), and no one but me brought snacks (so they all ate mine).  All I could think was wow.  My dad has really taught me to be prepared.  Guess no one else has such an amazing dad.
Also this week, we were at the Lawrence's home and as we were leaving, Sister Lawrence gave us some brownies.  So I’m chowing down as we walk out when I see a frog hop and land right next to and partly onto Sister Perea's shoe.  So I am trying to swallow the brownie and tell her there is a frog when it jumps into the house!   So I finally managed to swallow and I tell Sister Lawrence, "there is a frog inside your house."  And then people inside start screaming, and Sister Lawrence freaks out and runs away screaming with Sister Perea (apparently Sister Lawrence is afraid of them too).  Then inside we hear brother lawrence, "get the broom!  Get the broom!  No.  Not that broom!"  So he managed to sweep it outside and it landed in Sister Lawrence's bag.  Yep.  I thought I was going to die laughing!
Anyway, Hope Ya’ll had a great Fourth of July!
I love you!
Sister A. Morris

poster we made

other side

Lawrence family

No comments:

Post a Comment